George A. Romero’s Night of the Living Dead
Written by: Lori Allen Ohm
Based on George Romero and John Russo’s original film
Performed with licensing from Dramatists Play Service
Performance Dates: Oct. 27-29, 31
Runtime: 1.5 hours
Location: Webster County Fairgrounds
Fall out from a satellite probe shot to Venus returns to Earth carrying a mysterious radiation that transforms the unburied dead into flesh-eating zombies. Seven people trapped in an isolated farmhouse, held hostage by the ravenous ghouls, begin to turn on each other as the dead encroach. A gripping terror-filled monochromatic play that brings all the fright of the cult classic to life. This blend of thrilling horror laced with touches of black humor envelops the audience in the action and unfolds into a shocking theatrical ending.
Download the Night of the Living Dead audition notice
Marshfield Community Theatre is excited to produce this fantastic adaptation of George Romero and John Russo’s cult-classic film: Night of the Living Dead! This show will be directed by Kelby Lorenz, with assistance by Susie Smith.
MCT will hold auditions for Night of the Living Dead on Sept. 10 and 11 at 7 p.m. in the MCT Rehearsal Building at 430 McNabb Road, Marshfield, MO. The show will run Oct. 27-29 and Oct. 31 at 7 p.m. If needed, there will be callbacks on Thursday, Sept. 14 at 7 p.m.
We’re looking for around 30 performers ages 16 and up. The audition will consist of cold readings from the show and prepared monologue performances from everyone who auditions.
What to prepare:
Everyone should prepare a memorized dramatic monologue no longer than 1 minute in length from an existing play. If you have any questions about your monologue preparation, please reach out at firstname.lastname@example.org.
What to do before your audition:
Please fill out our online audition form and then bring the following with you to your audition:
- A list of potential conflicts for Sept. 17-Oct. 31
- A headshot to be kept with your audition form
- Clothing you can comfortably move in, with closed-toe shoes
- A willingness to step outside of the box and try new things
- Zombie #1 – Any age or gender | tall with graying hair
- Barbara – Female, 20’s | A young, blonde woman
- Johnny – Male, 20’s | Barbara’s older brother
- Corpse on the stair – Female, any age
- Ben – Male, late 20’s | African-American
- Harry Cooper – Male, 40-50’s | A tall man, needs to tower over Ben
- Helen Cooper – Female, 40-50’s | Harry’s wife
- Karen Cooper – Female, 11 | The Coopers’ daughter
- Tom – Male, 20-30’s | A muscular, helpful young man
- Judy – Female, 20-30’s | Tom’s girlfriend
- Radio Newscaster – male | Voice over
- News Anchor – male
- Dr. Grimes – male, any age
- Bill Bardough – male, any age
- Sheriff “Chief” McClellan – male, 40-50’s